Here is a smattering of the week’s hot topics:
- Another entry in the ‘weirdest things that are illegal in Germany’ column: it is prohibited to ship incomplete decks of playing cards. Don’t say you weren’t warned.
- I realized that I can say, ‘Oh, shit. My appointment isn’t today, it’s next Thursday.’ in three languages. Hurrah!
- Parsley roots grow to carrot-like proportions here, meaning that they’re worth cleaning and peeling. They are a lovely addition to stews.
- ‘Tis the season for making Pfeffernusse cookies! Loaded with black pepper, cardammom, and ginger, these get better as they age and dry out to a nice crunchiness. My family makes them a month or so ahead of time. I think I’ve finally found my favorite recipe: the spiciness is just right if you use fresh cardammom and double all the spices, the texture of the dough makes it a dream to work with, and the end result is just crunchy enough without being crumbly. The base recipe is here; I doubled the spices, used black instead of white pepper, baked them for a full 14 minutes, and ignored the request for almonds. I think they’d be good with candied ginger or orange peel mixed in, too.
- And now, the moment we’ve all been waiting for (that is, we’ve been waiting to really get serious about childproofing the flat and now we have absolutely no excuse.):